Friday

Pizza Pizza

I like pizza quite a bit. It's not my most favourite food, but made right, it can be quite good for you.

So, one day I decided to order a pizza from Domino's. Probably not one of my smarter ideas. I seem to have this really bad habit of checking nutrition info right after I scarf something down, and not before, like any other sane person would.

Turns out a 12" (about 8 slices) thin crust cheese and pepperoni pizza has 1320 calories, 64 g of fat, and 28 g of saturated fat. And if you haven't read my previous post, that's (on average) 66% of your daily calories, 94% of your daily fat intake, and 41% of your daily fat intake in saturated fat (of which you should only be getting 10%).

Now, I know you're going to say "But Nutrition Queen, who in the world eats a whole pizza themselves?!?"

So let's say you only ate three slices: that's 495 calories (25% of daily calories), 24 g of fat (36% of daily fat intake), and 11 g of saturated fat (16% of daily fat intake). I know you're thinking "Well, who cares! That's good enough!"

But I have a better idea! Make your own - it will be healthier, not to mention yummier.

I was rummaging around in my local grocery store when I came across this fantabulous product:
PC Blue Menu Whole Grain Lahvash Flatbread. It's approximatively the same size as a 12" round crust so use it as the crust for your pizza, squeeze some Primo Pizza Sauce on, add about 120 g of shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, and about 8 slices of pepperoni and you have yourself an excellent pizza. It's almost less work then picking up the phone and dialing for delivery. Plus, less wait time!

But the best part? 3 slices have only 279 calories (14% of daily calories), 12 g of fat (18% of daily fat intake), and 6 g of saturated fat (9% of daily fat intake AND within the recommended 10% daily intake for saturated fat!) - all of which is about half of what a delivery pizza contains!

Bonus: if you don't add pepperoni and instead put on mushrooms or bell peppers, you take out an extra 128 calories, 8 g of fat, and 3 g of saturated fat.

So there is a way to have your pizza and eat it too!