Tuesday

A New Take On the KFC Bowls


KFC chicken bowl. With mashed potatoes, cheese, and gravy. It sounds gross. But then the idea of trying it started to grow on me. And so I tried it. And it was delicious.

And now that I've eaten about half my daily calories in one shot (740 calories to be exact), 35 g of fat (43% of calories from fat), and 9 g of saturated fat, I feel a little gross.
So, of course there has to be a way to make this at home and make it so much healthier (and tastier)!

I started with:

1. the mashed potatoes: mash up some potatoes (you can leave the skin on for some extra fibre) and add a little bit of non-fat milk to make them creamy. If you're really adventurous, you can try mashing some sweet potato or yam instead.

2. for the next layer, corn: I simply opened a can of low sodium corn, rinsed, and put on top of the mashed potatoes. You can also cook your own corn on the cob, and slice off the kernels for an extra fresh taste.

3. the chicken: I sliced up a chicken breast into small, bite size pieces, coated them in a mix of non-fat plain yogurt and fat-free ranch dressing, a mixture of whole wheat bread crumbs and a healthy cereal like Fibre One (crushed) with some herbs like parsley thrown in, and baked on a tray until done.

4. the gravy: I made myself by dissolving about a tablespoon of butter and adding some flour to create a roux, and then adding a beef or chicken bullion cube dissolved in water, and then heating until thick.

5. The cheese: was a low-fat cheddar cheese sprinkled on top, very lightly.

And now you have a fabulous, tastier and healthier version of the KFC bowl.

Enjoy!